The leaves are changing, and the weather is cooling down (finally!) Fall/Winter is my absolute most favorite time of year and hot cocoa is on the menu on a nightly basis 😉
I was on a mission to create the richest, chocolatey, hot cocoa recipe and I think I nailed it!!! My recipe calls for cocoa powder, AND chocolate chips but i’m telling you.. it’s worth it. I used to be the powdered packet kind of gal, until I came up with this. Making your own hot cocoa is quick, easy & a literal game changer!
One of my favorite parts about making hot chocolate from scratch is that you can customize it however you like. I used mostly organic whole milk, with a little half and half, but you can always use almond or coconut milk for a dairy free option. The recipe also calls for semi sweet chocolate chips, but if you really want to up the ante with sweetness, feel free to use milk chocolate chips instead (less sweet option would be dark chocolate chips).
That most exciting part… TOPPINGS
Once you gather your toppings, snag a pretty cutting board or holiday platter to lay them out on to make your “hot cocoa board”. I ALWAYS make sure to have marshmallows, and lots of them! I suggest starting with those and then adding whatever other toppings you have around that. If you really want to get fancy, you could make your own whipped cream and have it in a bowl on your board.
Between Target & Trader Joe’s I was able to snag almost every topping you could think of. Peppermint crumbles (Target), the snowflake marshmallows (Target), and TJ’s chocolate covered marshmallows were definitely a house favorite.
I’m so excited to see how you make your hot chocolate, don’t forget to tag me over on instagram @easyylivin or drop me a comment with your favorite toppings so I can check it out!
- 3 cups Milk ( I used Organic Whole Milk, but you can use whatever you’d like here)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add your milk. half and half, cocoa powder and sugar to a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk together until warm and combined, make sure not to allow your cocoa to come to a boil.
- Add your chocolate chips and continually whisk until fully combined. Add the vanilla, give it one last stir and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings!